Serving Central Arkansas since 1988

WARNING SIGNS

0

WARNING SIGNS

WARNING: These warning signs are meant for inspection purposes only. If you find any problems with your electrical system, do not attempt to fix or tinker with it yourself. Contact McGrew today!

KEEP TRACK OF CIRCUIT BREAKER TRIPS

It’s common for a home circuit breaker to trip. That’s what they’re designed to do - shut off your power through the circuit whenever the system is overloaded. In most cases, you can just switch it back on and continue with your tasks. However, if your circuit breaker trips frequently – multiple times a month or more – that’s a surefire sign that there is a deeper, potentially dangerous problem in your home’s electrical wiring or you are taxing that circuit with too many high-energy demanding devices or appliances.

LOOK AND LISTEN FOR FLICKERING, BUZZING OR DIMMING LIGHTS

Just because your circuit breaker hasn’t tripped, doesn’t mean there isn’t a problem with your electrical wiring. Another symptom of out dated or damaged wiring is flickering, buzzing or dimming lights. If your lights buzz when they’re turned on or flicker/dim when you use multiple appliances, this is a definite sign that you’re home’s wiring requires a professional upgrade.

LOOK OUT FOR FRAYED OR CHEWED WIRING

Usually caused by rodents, pets and amateur handymen, any damaged wiring like this is a significant shock and fire hazard. It’s of the utmost importance that if you find or suspect that there is any problems of this kind, you should contact a licensed electrical contractor to inspect and replace the damaged wiring and look for any ancillary damage.

SEARCH FOR DISCOLORATION, SCORCHING AND SMOKE

Keep an eye open at the outlet points in your home. If you notice any discoloration or scorch marks on your outlets, that is a sign that the wiring in your home has been damaged in some way and is releasing heat. That heat is already damaging your home and has the potential to do much worse if left unchecked.

FEEL FOR WARM OR VIBRATING WALL OUTLETS

Another way to find out if the wiring in your home has gone bad is to check by feel. Without touching any wiring directly feel your home’s electrical outlets for heat or vibrations. In the case of either, have an electrician check for and replace any loose or damaged wiring.

SMELL FOR BURNING AND ODD ODORS

Use your nose to sniff out the source of the problem when you suspect an electrical issue in your home. Smell for any burning, smoky or odd odors at the point of outlets, as well as at your electrical panel. Burning smells mean that fire damage may have already begun and, if that’s the case, it’s imperative to have it fixed by an electrical professional immediately.Unfortunately, many faulty wiring problems can be traced to installations performed by individuals who have little training in safely installing electrical infrastructure. They entice with a cheap price, but leave you with a potential life threatening hidden danger. If you are experiencing any of these things, call McGrew today!

Categories:Residential Electric Service

Comments: No comments yet

By Diane C.

Blake is a friendly professional who represents McGrew Electric very well. He has serviced my generator for several years and does a great job!
 

1-866-462-4739